Sunday, December 21, 2008

Museum of Fine Arts

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Museum of Fine Arts, West Wing Entrance, Fenway, Boston, MA

I took this photo this afternoon during our first major winter snow storm for the season. While I do not know the exact snowfall for this storm (which began Friday afternoon and continued pretty much non-stop through this evening), it's safe to assume it was at least 8 inches.

The MFA is currently undergoing an extensive expansion project, including the construction of an entirely new wing (which will serve as the museum's new main entrance). As part of the project, the westward-facing entrance was recently reopened after being shut to visitors and neglected for over 25 years. Would you believe that this is actually the back door to this museum? I am thrilled that this entrance was once again reopened to visitors. I must say that this facade is the most impressive of the museum (I think it's far more grand than even the original domed facade that faces Huntington Avenue). I'm glad that the city and the museum came to their senses to reinvigorate this part of the Fens, as the reopening of this entrance has seemed to spearhead a flurry of activity restoring the parkland in the Fens across the street. Perhaps I'm a bit biased, as this facade faces my apartment building.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.